popcorn

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Last Airbender


Hi all! Today’s topic will be another highly anticipated movie: “The Last Airbender”.  I spoke to two friends of mine and they were so excited to see it. For the ones who don’t know, The Last Airbender, is based on the animated TV show “Avatar”… Avatar? Yes! For the anecdote directors James Cameron and Night Shyamalan (The Last Airbender) fought for the title. It’s unnecessary to tell you who won…
Anyway, the movie review I chose comes once again from the Sydney Morning Herald and was written by Jim Schembri on September 16, 2010. (1) Although the article is quite short, Schembri does a good job explaining the essential parts that we should know about. He might be too direct and offensive in his way but everything he says is true. The movie is boring and the director is bad (Surprisingly, considering he made “The Sixth Sense” and “Signs”!).  Schembri continues and explains briefly the plot and gives the readers information they couldn’t get from their friends. For example, he explains who was responsible for the special effects and, as I said above, the title trial between James Cameron and Night Shyamalan.  But what truly amazes me is how Schembri managed to explain so many things in just a few lines. In opposition with the common belief, writing summarizing can be a real challenge. Moreover, as Abraham Lincoln once said: "I'm sorry I didn't have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one."
To conclude, besides the fact that it is a great article, I discovered something new about the layout of the webpage: A quote box for online readers (which doesn’t take a great line of the author but a great line of one of the commentators).  Concerning the rest of the layout, you’ve probably already read my opinions on SMH webpage content, which I find amazing. 
(1): http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/the-last-airbender-20100916-15dek.html

1 comment: